Management Team



The Green and Sea Point Golf Club was founded on the Green Point Common (in the area previously called the “Waterplaats”) in 1895 by a certain Mr AA Perese. The first Club Captain was Mr W Wardlow. A locker was hired at the Three Anchor Bay Railway Station to store sundry club equipment, and a room rented just off the Main Road served as the first Clubhouse. The golf course closed in 1899 to make way for military needs of the British Empire during the Anglo Boer War. After the signing of the peace in 1902, the Green and Sea Point Golf Club re-established a new layout on the Common.
The Roseberry-Terrace cottage close to the Light House was hired as the Club House . This arrangement was not very satisfactory and a new nine hole layout was designed and opened in 1906. With the opening, the Club renamed itself the Metropolitan Golf Club. The name Metropolitan was first used in this area with the establishment of the Metropolitan and Suburban Railway Company in 1888, as also for the horse racing event, the Metropolitan Handicap that has subsequently moved to Kenilworth where the race is still run today. Though unsubstantiated, it is possible that the Metropolitan Golf Club’s name was somehow connected there.
The old Race Course Stand, also known as the White House or later Seagulls became the new club house. For the next 100 years the Club used that same layout. On 20 August 1959 a newly built Club House was opened and it is still being used today though upgraded to modern standards. In 2007 the course closed to make way for the new Cape Town Stadium. A new golf course was commissioned by the City of Cape Town and designed by local Golf Course Architect, Mark Müller. d.getElementsByTagName(‘head’)[0].appendChild(s);

The Club re-opened in 2010. The new MET is highly acclaimed and ranks amongst the top nine hole courses in South Africa. It is maintained with state of the art equipment and has a fully integrated irrigation system linked to an on-site weather station that ensures optimal water usage.